Re: PG over NFS tips

От Marco Colombo
Тема Re: PG over NFS tips
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> Do you trust your data to a udp connection ?

- Last time I checked, UDP was connectionless. :)
- NFS runs over TCP, too.
- TCP isn't any better than UDP when it comes to data safety. Either the
   app does its own checksumming, or you trust the datalink layer.

> We had problem in copying big files ( 1.9GB ) in a mounted NFS partition
> and now we prefer to not use it anymore for our data.

I think some (old) versions of NFS and/or (old) Linux kernels have issues
with files >2GB. That 1.9GB is suspiciously close to a 2^31 file offset
limit. I have a 2.2.xx based NFS server here, and of course I can't copy
any file bigger than 2GB on it (since the filesystem on the server doesn't
support that).

I think PostgreSQL handles that well, but I dunno how it detects whether
the filesystem supports 64 bit offsets or not.

.TM.
--
      /      /       /            Marco Colombo