Re: log file rotate

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: log file rotate
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>>Tom, you didn't like Andreas' idea of allowing the user to rotate the
>>log files on demand.
>

> Give me a use case that requires that, and is sufficiently interesting
> to justify even a marginal decrease in the reliability of the log
> process.

- Debugging some stuff, a distinct period of work, I'd like to start
with a fresh serverlog.
- When doing a backup, I'd like to continue with a fresh serverlog so I
can see what was happening since that point in time.

MSSQL calls this sp_cycle_errorlog.

I can't see even a marginal decrease of reliability, since the logger
already accepts SIGHUP, and will reevaluate postgresql.conf to set the
rotation_requested flag accordingly; I'm just asking for setting the
flag directly.

Regards,
Andreas