Re: Performance Bottleneck

От Martin Foster
Тема Re: Performance Bottleneck
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jan Wieck wrote:

> On 8/3/2004 2:05 PM, Martin Foster wrote:
>
>> I run a Perl/CGI driven website that makes extensive use of PostgreSQL
>> (7.4.3) for everything from user information to formatting and display
>> of specific sections of the site.   The server itself, is a dual
>> processor AMD Opteron 1.4Ghz w/ 2GB Ram and 2 x 120GB hard drives
>> mirrored for redundancy running under FreeBSD 5.2.1 (AMD64).
>>
>> Recently loads on the site have increased during peak hours to the
>> point of showing considerable loss in performance.    This can be
>> observed when connections move from the 120 concurrent connections to
>> PostgreSQL to roughly 175 or more.     Essentially, the machine seems
>> to struggle to keep up with continual requests and slows down
>> respectively as resources are tied down.
>

> Have you taken a look at pgpool? I know, it sounds silly to *reduce* the
> number of DB connections through a connection pool, but it can help.
>

> Jan

I am currently making use of Apache::DBI which overrides the
DBI::disconnect call and keeps a pool of active connections for use when
need be.   Since it offloads the pooling to the webserver, it seems more
advantageous then pgpool which while being able to run on a external
system is not adding another layer of complexity.

Anyone had any experience with both Apache::DBI and pgpool?   For my
needs they seem to do essentially the same thing, simply that one is
invisible to the code while the other requires adding the complexity of
a proxy.

    Martin Foster
    Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms
    martin@ethereal-realms.org