Re: Postgres development model (was Re: CVS comment)

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Postgres development model (was Re: CVS comment)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I don't think it was a problem of committers.  To me it was a problem of
> reviewers.  Those are very scarce (for the bigger items it's mostly only
> Tom).  Maybe a better SCM could help with this, but I doubt it.  As an
> example, I did read the autovacuum patch, but I had no useful comment to
> make on it.  Why didn't Jan or Bruce say something about it?  What about
> Neil or Joe Conway?  If any of them could have had useful feedback, they
> didn't have the time to do it.

Unfortunately due to other commitments, personal and professional, I
haven't had time to do much this development cycle :-(. I'm just now
able to start getting a bit more active again.

But in any case I think your second sentence above gets to the heart of
the issue. Postgres is a complex piece of code, and even though I have
commit access, I don't understand many parts of it well enough to do a
credible job reviewing others' code (at least not without days of effort
just trying to understand what it is that I'm reviewing). Where I have
both the time and some knowledge I do try to help, e.g. with plperl.

Joe