Re: FW: Out of swap space & memory

От Paul Tillotson
Тема Re: FW: Out of swap space & memory
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Kevin,

I've been casually following this thread (you might say "lurking"), and
I don't know *why* the problem is occurring, but you said that you
didn't see a foolproof way to break the problem into steps. I think
there is such a way, which will at least allow you to get the job done.

This example uses the member_id column as the partitioning column, and
uses 3 smaller steps. Substitute a different column or more steps if
necessary.

Pick 2 values of member id which can be used as dividers to distribute
your table 3 ways evenly. For example, if your member_id's are
sequential from 1 to 3000, use values 1000 and 2000. Then do this:
(notice inserted WHERE clause)

-- de-dup the table
select member_id, campaign_id, catalog_type, pushed, delivered, clicks,
opened, month, type1, type2, type3, type4, type5
into octanenights
from octanenights_raw
WHERE member_id < 1000
group by member_id, campaign_id, catalog_type, pushed, delivered, clicks,
         opened, month, type1, type2, type3, type4, type5;

-- de-dup the table
select member_id, campaign_id, catalog_type, pushed, delivered, clicks,
opened, month, type1, type2, type3, type4, type5
into octanenights
from octanenights_raw
WHERE member_id >= 1000 AND member_id < 2000
group by member_id, campaign_id, catalog_type, pushed, delivered, clicks,
         opened, month, type1, type2, type3, type4, type5;

-- de-dup the table
select member_id, campaign_id, catalog_type, pushed, delivered, clicks,
opened, month, type1, type2, type3, type4, type5
into octanenights
from octanenights_raw
WHERE member_id >= 2000
group by member_id, campaign_id, catalog_type, pushed, delivered, clicks,
         opened, month, type1, type2, type3, type4, type5;

This way, the system never has to do a GROUP BY with the whole table. If
it still runs out of memory this way, you can partition the data into as
many smaller pieces as necessary, although I'm sure you'll want to write
a script to do so if you have to do very many partitions.

Paul