Re: [JDBC] Very strange Error in Updates

От Oliver Jowett
Тема Re: [JDBC] Very strange Error in Updates
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com> writes:
>
>>What about refusing to change client_encoding to something other than
>>SQL_ASCII on SQL_ASCII databases?
>

> Not sure that would do anything very useful.  People who aren't thinking
> about this probably aren't thinking about setting client_encoding
> properly, either.
>

>>Or perhaps the JDBC driver could issue a warning whenever it notices the
>>underlying encoding is SQL_ASCII (this means another round-trip on
>>connection setup even when using V3 though).
>

> Something like this seems reasonable.  I'm not sure why we didn't make
> server_encoding be GUC_REPORT so that it would be sent automatically
> during connection startup ... we could change that in 7.5 if it would
> help any ...

Sorry about the slow response to this.

One of these would certainly be useful. I'd prefer the first option
since it catches the problem regardless of what client you're using and
seems conceptually cleaner. At this late stage in the game, though,
maybe the GUC_REPORT approach is the thing to do if it means it can go
into 7.5/8.0.

-O