Re: Binary Cursors, and the COPY command

От Oliver Jowett
Тема Re: Binary Cursors, and the COPY command
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> "Oliver Jowett" <oliver@opencloud.com> wrote in message
>
>>NIO is not present before JDK 1.4. The JDBC driver, at least, needs to
>>support earlier JVMs.
>>

> Clients only capable of network order (such as a Java 1.3 based JDBC driver)
> must of course be supported still. No argument there. My objection was to
> your general statement that "Java has no idea what the native byte order
> is".

I suppose so. I'd point out that the NIO byteorder info is really just
an optimization hint -- the rest of the NIO API is byteorder agnostic,
regardless of what the native byteorder is.

>>The problem with using native byte orderings is not the byte ordering
>>itself, but that the order is unpredictable -- at best, you have to
>>implement code to handle both orders, and at worst you have to just take
>>a guess and hope you were right..
>
> Sure, but those problems are present regardless of implementation language.

That was my real argument..

-O

Сообщение: Re: Binary Cursors, and the COPY command
Сообщение: Re: Binary Cursors, and the COPY command