Re: Insert are going slower ...

От Gaetano Mendola
Тема Re: Insert are going slower ...
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hervé Piedvache wrote:

> Josh,
>
> Le mardi 13 Juillet 2004 19:10, Josh Berkus a écrit :
>
>>>What can I do to get better results ?? (configuration option, and/or
>>>hardware update ?)
>>>What can I give you to get more important informations to help me ?
>>
>>1) What PostgreSQL version are you using?
>

> v7.4.3
>

>>2) What's your VACUUM, ANALYZE, VACUUM FULL, REINDEX schedule?
>

> VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE;
>
> Every day after the calculation I was talking about ...
>

>>3) Can you list the non-default settings in your PostgreSQL.conf?
>>Particularly, shared_buffers, sort_mem, checkpoint_segments,
>>estimated_cache, and max_fsm_pages?
>

> sort_mem =   512000

This is too much, you are instructing Postgres to use 512MB
for each backend ( some time each backend can use this quantity
more then one )

> vacuum_mem = 409600
> max_fsm_pages = 50000000
 > max_fsm_relations = 2000

50 milions ? HUG.
what tell you postgres in the log after performing
a vacuum full ?

> max_files_per_process = 2000
> wal_buffers = 1000
> checkpoint_segments = 3

For massive insert you have to increase this number,
pump it up to 16

> effective_cache_size = 5000000

5GB for 8 GB system is too much

> random_page_cost = 3

on your HW you can decrease it to 2
and also decrease the other cpu costs

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

BTW, I live in Paris too, if you need a hand...