Re: LinuxTag wrapup

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: LinuxTag wrapup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Gavin Sherry wrote:

>>>How about an external tool that helps in translating apps to
>>>SQL-standard syntax?  Oracle does accept the standard syntax after all.
>>>That way we are truly helping people liberate themselves: they can
>>>switch to any SQL-compliant database, not only Postgres.
>>>

>>I totally agree. After all, oracle provides such tools to their customers.
>>

>Should this be a TODO?

An external tool helping translating sql is fine, but nothing to be
defined todo for core pgsql IMHO. I still believe some minor "oracle
helper" behaviour (not to call it oracle compatibility, to avoid wrong
expectations) should be added. Currently, pgsql appears a bit arrogant
towards those oracle centric people (always a matter of point of view,
of course). We could avoid this by offering some concessions.

Regards,
Andreas