Re: Show encoding in initdb messages

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: Show encoding in initdb messages
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
>This should save a lot of support requests, hopefully.
>

> I kinda doubt it will save any :-(.  In what situation would this not
> merely be echoing back what the guy had just specifically typed on the
> command line?

When no -E argument is supplied at all, or when they type ISO-8859-1
instead of LATIN1.

The reason it will help with support is because newbies will go
"SQL_ASCII! I don't want ascii!".  Then they will kill initdb, check the
man page and then re-run it with a real encoding.

Seriously NO new postgres user checks the initdb man page before running
is the first time.  I know this from the irc channel...

Either way, I see no reason _not_ to just do it...

Chris