Re: Casts question

От Shachar Shemesh
Тема Re: Casts question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Shachar Shemesh <psql@shemesh.biz> writes:
>

>>I have defined a datatype called "varcharci", shamelessly yanking the
>>input, output, recv and send functions from varchar. This means (as far
>>as I understand things) that this type is binary compatible with varchar.
>>

>Use text, not varchar.
>

>>Why is that? Being as it is that no operator = is defined for varcharci,
>>and that the cast from varchar to varcharci is "as assignment" anyways,
>>shouldn't postgres be able to do the cast implicitly?
>>

>Yes, it can cast to varchar, but that doesn't help because there are no
>varchar operators ;-).  To resolve the operator, it has to promote both
>sides to text, and you didn't offer a cast to text.
>
>            regards, tom lane

I don't get it. The cast from varchar to text is using a "no function"
cast - i.e. - they are binary compatible. And yet, there are two
seperate functions for receiving from text and from binary
representation. Why not use the same function?
            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.