Using domains for case insensitivity

От Shachar Shemesh
Тема Using domains for case insensitivity
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

A while back I asked about creating a case insensitive postgresql. Tom,
at the time, suggested I create a case insensitive type instead.

I am now trying to go that route, and am wondering whether domains will
provide a shortcut for me. As far as I understand the task at hand, I am
quite capable of using all of the existing varchar functions for input,
output, storage, conversions and so on. The only thing I need to
override is the comparison functions (and the resulting index creation,
of course).

According to the docs, domains are not meant for that purpose, but for
changing constraints of a type. Is it possible to define a domain that
will have the same defaults and constraints as the base type, but will
have different comparison functions? Will that provide me with what I need?
            Many thanks,
                        Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh