"An old version of the database format was found."

От David Garamond
Тема "An old version of the database format was found."
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
A very minor rant.

I usually run 7.4.1 at home, but today I need to do some testing on
7.2.1 so I downgraded my RPM installation. When trying to start
postgresql with /etc/init.d/postgresql, it fails with this message:

"An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade
the data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee (Your System's
documentation directory)/postgresql-7.4/README.rpm-dist for more
information."

When in fact the database format was newer. Also I tried 7.4.1 with a
data directory where PG_VERSION is changed to 7.5 by purpose. Same message.

Wouldn't it be a bit more helpful if the error message is along the line
of "Database format is different (... was expecting version X.Y but
found P.Q instead...)"

--
dave