Re: replication

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/8/2004 11:31 AM, David Parker wrote:

> Hi. I'm new to postgresql in general, and have been tasked with coming
> up with a replication solution for our postgresql based application.
> Assuming we don't bite off trying to roll our own solution, it looks
> like the open-source options for replication are:
>
> 1) contrib/rserv
> 2) erserver
> 3) slony
> 4) pgreplication

   5) contrib/dbmirror

>From looking at the code, it looks like contrib/rserv might have evolved
> into erserver. I'm curious what the motivation for starting the new
> slony replication project was - is it intended to address short-comings
> in erserver? There has been some traffic on the list today about the
> pgreplication project, too, but I haven't had a chance to look at it
> yet. Is anybody using it?

The shortcomings of other replication systems was indeed the motivation
for Slony-I. One of the required features for Slony-I is the ability to
install and build up a new slave system without interruption of the
master. Another goal was the ability to inherit other slaves in the case
of promoting one slave to master. Point 1 might not seem too critical,
as there are only few environments that cannot stop their applications
sometimes for a few minutes. But the second problem is way more severe,
because without that ability there is no promotion of a slave to master.
Turning a former slave database into a single standalone system has
nothing to do with promotion to master!

ERserver could be enhanced to do point 1, but I don't see the ability to
satisfy goal #2 with it ever. Neither did I see the ability to add them
to dbmirror.

> Of course there's nothing that says there can't be multiple replication
> solutions for postgresql, but as somebody just coming into the
> community, I have NO idea what the relationship between them is, or if
> anybody is even doing replication.

Slony does not and will not fit the needs of anybody who's intending
something like dozens or hundreds of sporadic connecting and replicating
nodes (AKA the salesman on the street). It is designed for data centers
with few but reliably connected systems.

Replication is one of the millenium-buzzwords. But replication is not a
feature, it is many possible solutions for even more different and
possibly interconnected problems. So I would say "there must be multiple
replication solutions for postgresql".

Jan