Re: Improving postgresql.conf

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: Improving postgresql.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:

> I have a LOT of opinions about postgresql.conf, and frankly, I think more
> comments are not where the problems lie.
>
> If you *really* want to make configuring postgresql easier,
> postgresql.conf HAS to live outside the data directory and specify where
> everything is. postgresql.conf should do exactly as one would assume it
> does, configure postgresql.
>
> Right now it doesn't. Right now it just sets parameters and the "-D" or
> PGDATA environment variable *really* configure postgresql. If you do not
> know how a machine is setup, you have to look for the install. Hopefuly,
> the previous administrator did not have any test directories which would
> confuse the search. Sorry, I'm ranting.
>
> In an ideal world, I envision Postgresql having a default location for
> postgresql.conf, in this file will be the declarations for where the data
> directory is, possible included files, etc. i.e. the stuff I've been
> pushing litterally for years. I am not saying that the current behavior
> change in any way, what I am saying is that a more world compatible
> methodology should be possible.
>
> Once the postgresql.conf file is out of the data directory, you have a new
> paradigm from which to work. One could write a setup application, in java
> or something, which creates a new postgresql.conf file, right down to
> where you want the installed directory to be, and THAT is used by initdb.
> The setup application can also provide context sensitive help for each of
> the setting. The user may not even *know* that there is such a file as
> postgresql.conf.

Well, the statement 'postgresql.conf outside data directory' isn't going to win
I think.

postgresql.conf is a cluster configuration file. I remember previous discussion
on this and I agree with that a cluster configuration file should remain in
cluster itself.

Let me put it in a different way. What you are asking is a service configuration
file. It is *not* same as current postgresql configuration file. It will/should
be unique to a perticular installation of postgresql. i.e. something like
/etc/postgresql/7.4.2/service.conf

I think it makes a lot of sense then. It would allow to maitain different
clusters, like in another thread where OP wanted different locales/collation.
And it will still allow multiple versions of postgresql to be installed.

I remember chasing mandrake couple of years ago for not to make postgresql
database live in /var/lib/data... but to make it configurable. It didn't go
anywhere though.

I think it is a rather good idea to add service configuration to default
postgresql install. May be linux distro. vendors can customize thr. the init
scripts.

Also pulling postgresql.conf out of cluster has a drawback. All the clusters
would have to share same tuning parameters which is not exactly ideal. If we
define a services file with multiple clusters we woudl still provide ultimate
control to the DBA/system admin.

Just a thought..
 Shridhar