Re: serverlog function

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: serverlog function
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>>I'd like to see the serverlog even if I can't "go and look at the log
>>file", because I don't have file access to the server.
>>

>Understand.  Unfortunately, we don't allow such functionality. The only
>solution I can think of is to use syslog and send the logs to a machine
>where you do have access.

What I mean is not how to set up a log solution, but how to offer a
convenient way for the windows spoiled admins who like to have a gui for
all kind of stuff, and just wants to hit a button "show server log",
regardless of server location and platform type. This is a request that
was recommended for pgadmin3.

AFAICS, we have some alternatives:
- try to grab the currently created files/syslog/eventlog. Seems hard to
do, because we'd depend on additional external tools.
- redirect stderr to a postgresql.conf known file. Disadvantage: breaks
piping.
- maintain a sharedMem for the latest messages. Disadvantage: limited
space, no access to older entries after postmaster restart.
- additional log_destination "file". Disadvantage: Yet Another File
besides the redirected stderr, but this seems a minor problem.

Regards,
Andreas

От: Shridhar Daithankar
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Failures with windows port
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Failures with windows port