problem with pg_restore

От Chris McCormick
Тема problem with pg_restore
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi there,
   I am a newbie, trying to move a pg db from PostgreSQL 7.13  on RedHat 7.3 to PostgreSQL 7.42 on FreeBSD 4.9.  The db has one table with 32,000 rows, each containing a blob.  The blobs range in size from 2K to about 300K.  The entire backup .tar file is just over 3GB.

   I first tried to restore using the folloing command:
   pg_restore -d athena backup.tar

   It ran for a while (creating all the table defs) and the I got the following messages:
   pg_restore: ERROR:   literal carriage return found in data.

   So, I had some bad carriage returns.  I found an answer at (http://forums.devshed.com/archive/t-99865), which suggested using sed to fix the carriage returns.  I did that, creating backup2.tar.  The problem is, when I now run the following command (after recreating the db athena):
pg_restore -d athena backup2.tar

   I get this reply _immediately_:
   pg_restore: [archiver] out of memory

    This happens so fast that I'm pretty sure the restore hasn't even *started*.  So, I'm not sure how it has run out of memory.  This is on a P4 2.8 GHz system with a 2GB swap and 1GB RAM.

   I can restore all the other tables individually with backups to sql and imports, but the blob table is the most important table in the db.  I've spent about 8 hours trolling through Google and mailing lists.  Any suggestions as to how I can find out more information on my problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Chris McCormick

PS - If I can't get this working myself, I'd be willing to pay someone to figure it out.  What would be a reasonable amount to expect to pay for this kind of troubleshooting?