Re: Official Freeze Date for 7.5: July 1st, 2004

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Official Freeze Date for 7.5: July 1st, 2004
Дата
Re: Official Freeze Date for 7.5: July 1st, 2004  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>

>>> Just so that everyone is aware, we are going to push the freeze date
>>> for 7.5 to July 1st.
>>>
>>> Although we feel that there are enough improvements and features
>>> already in place for 7.5, Tom's felt that if we gave it that extra
>>> month, we could also have PITR in place for 7.5 ...
>>>
>>> If anyone is working on other features that they feel can be
>>> polished off before the July 1st deadline, we would be most happy to
>>> incorporate those as well, but do recommend submitting patches for
>>> review *sooner*, rather then later, so that any recommended
>>> corrections can be addressed before teh deadline.
>>>

>> I welcome this, as I always thought June 1 was too soon. However, I
>> think that the process by which the date was eventually arrived at
>> was unfortunate.
>>
>> I would modestly suggest that there should be a minimum period of
>> notice of a feature freeze - 6 weeks or 2 months seems about right to
>> me, given the
>

> Oh, you mean the original freeze date that was set at the start of the
> dev cycle 6 months ago?

I am far from being the only person to whom this was less than clear. I
also know that when I discussed this with one or two members of the core
team *they* were not clear about it either.

Maybe I missed something in an email somewhere ...

In any case, I think a target date should be set at the beginning of a
dev cycle and a hard date should be set closer to the end of the cycle.
Trying to adhere rigidly to a date set nine or twelve months previously
doesn't strike me as good practice.

cheers

andrew