Re: Hardware opinions wanted

От Bjoern Metzdorf
Тема Re: Hardware opinions wanted
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Dan Harris wrote:
> I am torn right now between these two systems to replace my aging DB
> server:
>
> 4 x 2.2 GHz Opteron
> 8GB RAM
> Ultra320 15kRPM RAID5 with 128MB cache
>
> and
>
> 2-way 1.2GHz POWER4+ IBM pSeries 615
> 8GB RAM
> Ultra320 15kRPM RAID5 with 64MB cache

I don't know anything about the pSeries, but have a look in the
archives, there was recently a rather long thread about Xeon vs.
Opteron. The Opteron was the clear winner.

Personally I think that you can't be wrong with the 4-way Opteron. It
scales very well and if you don't need the fault tolerance of the
pSeries platform, then you should be able to save one or two bucks with
opteron way.

Btw: If you want to save a few more bucks, then drop the 15k and take
10k drives. They are of almost same speed.

Regards,
Bjoern