Re: win32 service code

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: win32 service code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers-win32
Merlin Moncure wrote:

>Andrew wrote:
>

>>>I had a thought that on win32 pg_ctl start/stop would mean start/stop
>>>the service (always) on win32, and for this to be the only way to
>>>

>start
>

>>No, we need to be able to run *not* under the service manager, and
>>pg_ctl needs to be able to control that, IMNSHO.
>>
>>Users might not have admin privs (e.g. in a classroom setting).
>>

>Ok, fair enough.  Do you think start/stop service should still be done
>through pg_ctl?

I think if we are running as a service that the SCM code should create
$PGDATA/pgservice.servicename so we can at least detect it.

Then if that file is present, we have a range of options, including:
. don't allow pg_ctl to do stop/start/restart
. have pg_ctl issue "net {stop,start} servicename" to give effect to the
commands

cheers

andrew