problem with sorting using 'ORDER BY' when character field is filled with numerical values

От Dragan Matic
Тема problem with sorting using 'ORDER BY' when character field is filled with numerical values
Дата
Список pgsql-general
If I have a table t with column c which is defined as char(5) and fill
it with following values:

insert into t (c) values ('    1')
insert into t (c) values ('    2')
insert into t (c) values ('    3')
insert into t (c) values ('    4')
insert into t (c) values ('   11')
insert into t (c) values ('   12')
insert into t (c) values ('   14')
insert into t (c) values ('   24')
insert into t (c) values ('   21')
insert into t (c) values ('   31')
insert into t (c) values ('  333')

and then do the following: SELECT C FROM T ORDER BY C
Postgres gives me the following

    1
   11
   12
   14
    2
   21
   24
    3
   31
  333
    4

the same thing done with MS SQL server gives this as a result:

    1
    2
    3
    4
   11
   12
   14
   21
   24
   31
  333

which is the result I find more logical, meaning the user would expect
data sorted this way. Is there some way to make Postgres sort elements
in this way (setting sort order or collation, I suppose)? Tnx in advance

Dragan