Re: Functionality in database or external langauge

От Jan Poslusny
Тема Re: Functionality in database or external langauge
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have some experience with following scenario:
1. Pg or other RDBMS realizes data integrity and transaction isolation,
only. Potentially, only _very_ well known and oldschool rules are
implemented here, for instance user sessions, which are not strictly
related with real bussiness rules. Additionally, helper (updatable)
views and stored functions are implemented to  simplify and support the
next point.
2. Something as application server realizes bussiness rules.
    -These processes are fully privileged (because trusted) to perform
actions on data, but they do not use Pg-superuser account. Typically,
there are httpd daemons with mod_perl. They could recognise user
privileges and perform or refuse requested operations on data.
3. Client side realizes GUI and the user inserted data basic validation.
    -Typically web browsers, not trusted.

We use this to realize light or not-heavy-weight database driven webs.