Re: Is Linux 2.6.5 kernel good enough for production?

От Dirk Försterling
Тема Re: Is Linux 2.6.5 kernel good enough for production?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Am 05/05/2004 03:03 PM schrieb Luiz Rafael Culik Guimaraes:

>>Do people think linux 2.6.5 is stable enough yet for a production
>>PostgreSQL server?
>
> i´m using linux 2.6.5 with postgres 7.4.2 with out problem(conectiva linux
> version 10)

I'd like to add here, that I recently tried 2.6.5 / Postgres 7.4.2 and
found out that overall system performance during database operations
decreased dramatically.

A series of queries that were usually done within about 30 minutes on
Linux 2.4.25 / Postgres 7.4.2 took about 3 (three) hours on Linux 2.6.5
with Postgres 7.4.2 on the same machine with the same configuration.

While on Linux 2.4.25 the queries ran smoothly in background without
impacting other activity, the responsiveness of the whole machine got
so bad with 2.6.5 during the 3 hour query that simple http requests to
an Apache server on the same machine repeatedly timed out.

I still don't know WHY this happened, but I believe it may resolve as
a configuration issue. Maybe Postgres, maybe the Linux kernel.

   -dirk

--
                    D i r k   F "o r s t e r l i n g
                    r@zorbla.de  http://r.zorbla.de/