Re: Database structure

От Svenne Krap
Тема Re: Database structure
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I would definately say solution two.

As you point out yourself, there are only for int4s (propably even
int2s), that is 8 bytes each for the int4 (if I remeber corretly), which
equals something in the 40-50 bytes range for the row w/o index.
For 15m rows, thats not much more than 750 megabytes without the
indexes, which I believe take up roughly the same amount of space.

That might be around 1.5 GB of data, which I still consider a reasonably
sized database.
What I work on daily is in the 1 GB range already and grows 25-30
megabytes/day and we use large (3000 bytes or longer), complex (with
more than 10 subselects and utilizing inner joins, outer joins, cross
joins) queries, who are returning around 3000 rows each. This runs in a
matter of 2 minutes on a single cpu 2ghz system with ide disk (no raid)
and only half a gig of memory.

A good starting point for help would be data sizes of each tables (in my
opinion the number of digits is usually close enough), complexity of
querys (how many tables, subselects, types of joins,uses of aggregates
and so on) and finally what is considered "fast enough" - for a website
2 seconds may be fast enough, for a croned job once a month, the same
might be true for 3 days.

In the long run, being correct is usually better than being fast (at the
point of the implementation), as new hardware easily solves bottlenecks
for problems not scaling exponentially.

Svenne