Re: Parenthesis in Queries

От Shachar Shemesh
Тема Re: Parenthesis in Queries
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Oudenhoven, Timothy L wrote:

>Is there a way to turn off the need to use parenthesis in queries for table names etc.  I have seen in some
documentationexamples that parenthesis are not used in the queries.  In my install of postgre 7.4 I get an error when I
donot use them.

>Example with parenthesis which works in my build
>select * from portal."User"
>
>where I would like to use
>select * from portal.User
>
>Thanks
>Tim

Yes, sortof.

Just define all of your table and column names to be in lowercase.
Postgresql is sortof SQL standard here, in that names in quotes are
case-sensitive, and names without quotes give the illusion of case
insensitivity by turning them all into lowercase.

The deviation from the standard is because the standard dictates
"UPPERCASE". If you were to try the same thing on Oracle, my advice
would be "define all of your table and column names to be uppercase".

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting

От: Shachar Shemesh
Сообщение: Re: Mixed Case column names (php 4.3.5 & pg 7.4.2)
От: Michelle Konzack
Сообщение: Re: Pop 3 Emails to Postgresql