Re: Initial Review: JSON contrib modul was: Re: Another swing at JSON

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Initial Review: JSON contrib modul was: Re: Another swing at JSON
Дата
Re: Initial Review: JSON contrib modul was: Re: Another swing at JSON
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Joey Adams <joeyadams3.14159@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm having a really hard time figuring out how the JSON module should
>> handle non-Unicode character sets.

> But, again, why not just forget about transcoding and define it as
> "JSON, if you happen to be using utf-8 as the server encoding, and
> otherwise some variant of JSON that uses the server encoding as its
> native format?".  It seems to me that that would be a heck of a lot
> simpler and more reliable, and I'm not sure it's any less useful in
> practice.

Right offhand, the only argument I can see against this is that we might
someday want to pass JSON datums directly to third-party loadable
libraries that are picky about UTF8-ness.  But we could just document
and/or enforce that such libraries can only be used in UTF8-encoded
databases.

BTW, could the \uNNNN problem be finessed by leaving such escapes in
source form?