Re: Installation Postgresql

От Andrew Ayers
Тема Re: Installation Postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Chris wrote:
>>[SuSE]
>>I would appreciate if someone can give me hand
>>so I can have a good experience installing postgresql .
>

> If you're a complete *nix newbie you should consider
> using the precompiled PostgreSQL package that comes with
> your copy of SuSE. You can install it with Yast.

Yes - I would reccommend this as well, unless the version (of
PostgreSQL) that comes with SuSE does not have certain options you need,
or you have other needs to install from source. Also, be aware that
there are tools that can be installed on you system to convert a .tar.gz
to an RPM or other package style so you can install the packages using
you package manager (though this might be more work than what you want
to do for your project).

> The ./configure, make, ... steps are NOT necessary then,
> they're for compiling from source.

Compiling from source should only be done if you can't find the package
in a format for you package manager, if it didn't come with your set of
packages, or if you need certain features that aren't available in any
pre-made packages. Or, of course, if you have a specific need for the
source (ie, customized source, or you're developing for PG, etc).

> For getting started with PostgreSQL, you can start it
> by using the "service" menu entry from the SUSE GUI
> (I'm not using this, so I'm guessing the name...)

Likely, if you install it using YAST, you can shutdown and reboot and it
should automatically start up via the start up scripts (not as elegant
as doing it "manually" - and you should learn to start/shutdown service
daemons - but you also want to see if it auto starts, too - if the
startup goes by to quickly (or is masked by a graphical overlay), log in
and "cat /var/log/messages | more" to see if it did).

> You should be able to access the database by using the command line
> tools from a terminal window: createdb, psql. Try to see the
> man pages, or look up the books you cited (or ask again), if
> you get stuck.

Tons of reference material and people out there - if there is one thing
good to say about Linux, it is that reference material on just about
every subject and problem exists out there, all one has to do is look
for it (now, sometimes that material is difficult to understand, but
nothings perfect).

Andrew Ayers
Phoenix, Arizona

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.