Re: [ADMIN] postgresql in FreeBSD jails: proposal

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [ADMIN] postgresql in FreeBSD jails: proposal
Дата
Re: [ADMIN] postgresql in FreeBSD jails: proposal  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> mischa_sandberg@telus.net (Mischa Sandberg) writes:
>> Unfortunately, with multiple jails running PG servers and (due to app
>> limitations) all servers having same PGPORT, you get the situation that
>> when jail#2 (,jail#3,...) server comes up, it:
>> - detects that there is a shm seg with ipc key 5432001
>> - checks whether the associated postmaster process exists (with kill -0)
>> - overwrites the segment created and being used by jail #1

> Easiest fix: change the UID of the user running the postmaster (ie. pgsql) so
> that each runs as a distinct UID (instead of distinct PGPORT) ... been doing
> this since moving to FreeBSD 6.x ... no patches required ...

Sure, but in the spirit of "belt and suspenders too", I'd think that
doing that *and* something like Mischa's proposal wouldn't be bad.

(BTW, as far as I saw the original post only went to -hackers
... there's something messed up about your reply.)