Re: Actions requiring commit

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Actions requiring commit
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Lee <Lee@jamtoday.com> wrote:
> What's the postgres story? If I write to a native operating system file,
> (and don't commit), does the output appear immediately (no counting internal
> small delay) ?
>
> What about issuing a "system" (shell) comnmand? Causing an signal,  (er
> "Notify" in postrges land, I guess) , putting something on a queue via PGQ
> or similar
> tool?

In Postgres anything that Postgres manages itself only happens at
commit. So aside from table modifications and schema changes NOTIFY
only takes place at commit. But if you have a pl language like plperl
or plsh write to a file that's outside Postgres's sphere of influence
and it will happen right away.

I'm not familiar with PGQ, I'm not sure which tack it takes. Its
documentation should have an answer though.

--
greg