Re: masking the code

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: masking the code
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Scott Mead<scott.lists@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> As with many different types of security (i.e. the 3 foot high fence) this
> is really just a deterrent to most people who either aren't capable of
> reverse engineering or are just not interested in the first place.

Someone I know used to work at a nuclear power and research facility
(No Dave, someone else) and told me an interesting story.

The facility in question was often beset by protesters who invariably
managed to scale the perimeter fence. He asked one of the security
guards one day why they didn't build a better fence since the
run-of-the-mill fence was obviously not up to the task for such a
large perimeter against determined foes.

The answer was that the fence was not there to keep people out at all.
It's purpose was in fact to ensure that when they prosecuted it would
be impossible for anyone to claim they hadn't realized they were
trespassing...

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf