Re: PostgreSQL configuration

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:

>IMHO my patch can do this in a self
>documenting way, thus making it easier to do, i.e.
>
>postmaster -C /etc/postgres/fundb.conf
>postmaster -C /etc/postgres/testdb.conf
>
>I think that is far more intuitive than:
>
>postmaster -D /some/path/who/knows/where/fundb
>postmaster -D /another/path/i/don/t/know/testdb

To be honest - to me, both these look about the same on the
intuitiveness front :-)

I do not like lots of command line agruments so usually use :

export PGDATA=/var/pgdata/<version>
pg_ctl start

I realize that I cannot objectively argue that this is intuitively
better...it is just what I prefer.

>It is frustrating. I think this is important, as I would not have written
>and maintained it otherwise, but by being a somewhat subjective feature I
>can't make any iron clad arguments for it. I can only say it makes
>administration easier for those who whould like PostgreSQL administered
>this way. If the prevailing view is "we don't think so," then it doesn't
>get put it, but it doesn't make my arguments any less valid.

I completely agree. We are discussing what we would prefer - which is a
valid thing to do. Clearly if most people prefer most of what is in your
patch, then it would be silly to ignore it!

So anyway, here is my vote on it :

i) the inlcude - I like it
ii) the -C switch - could be persuaded (provided some safety is there -
like mutually exclusive with -D or PGDATA)
iii) the pid file - don't like it

regards

Mark

От: Neil Conway
Сообщение: Re: Information/schema hiding...
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL configuration