Re: PostgreSQL configuration

От Joseph Tate
Тема Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I've recently had some very unpleasant experiences trying to install
> test versions of MySQL on machines that already had older versions
> installed normally.  It seems that MySQL *will* read /etc/my.cnf if it
> exists, whether it's appropriate or not, and so it's impossible to have
> a truly independent test installation, even though you can configure it
> to build/install into nonstandard directories.  Let's not emulate that
> bit of brain damage.
>
>             regards, tom lane

It seems to me that this is a packaging problem and not a postgresql
problem.  If someone wants to package PostgreSQL so that there's a
symlink to a config file in /etc/pgsql or vice versa for the main
database they're welcome to do that, and why not?  As for test
databases, there's already a -D for the datadir, why not add a -C for
the config file as many software packages allow.  Then packagers could
put the config file anywhere they wanted.  I would certainly welcome
this feature as it would allow for easy tweaking/benchmarking.

I agree that we should avoid the viral-like MySQL configuration plague.

As to pgsql AT mohawksoft.com requested, here are a few widely used
software packages that keep configuration close to the data, some in
/var, some in /usr:

Mailman
OpenSSL
Cyrus-IMAP
Apache I believe doesn't install anything to /etc/ when you build from
source.