Re: Cursors and Transactions, why?

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Cursors and Transactions, why?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Eric Ridge wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2004, at 11:54 AM, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> And now you know why they are so good if you don't use all rows. This
>> benefit I think goes away if you use Joe Conway's suggestion of WITH
>> HOLD.
>
> Okay, so WITH HOLD is actually materializing the entire resultset
> (sequential scan or otherwise)?  If that's true, you're right, some of
> the benefits do go away.

Keep in mind that the tuplestore stays in memory as long as it fits
within sort_mem kilobytes. And you can do:

   set sort_mem to <some_large_number>;

prior to COMMIT, and then

   set sort_mem to default;

after COMMIT, as long as you can afford the memory use. A bit ugly, but
it might come in handy ;-)

Joe