Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??

От Gregory Wood
Тема Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??
Дата
Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:16:50PM -0500, Steve Manes wrote:
>
>>I think he probably means like an Oracle job.  Although cron works, that
>>would be handy so you wouldn't need to write wrapper scripts just to run
>>a proc.
>
> I hate to sound like an oldbie crank (although I'll admit to being a
> crank), but what exactly is the advantage supposed to be here?  One
> invents a new special bit of database code which exists just so people
> don't have to write shell scripts?  I guess the idea gets under my
> skin just because I have enough time-based problems without inventing
> a new interface to make it more complicated.

The only real advantage I see are for those people in hosting
environments that don't really have access to cron. I suppose it's also
valuable in making your scripts more portable as you wouldn't need to
make further alterations to the system beyond restoring a database
backup or whatnot.

In all, I think PostgreSQL has bigger fish to fry.

Greg