Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> I don't want to reap the postmaster off -- I want to reap off the
> backends associated with that particular postmaster, allowing that
> postmaster to die on its own.  Duh.  Doing this in a safe manner is not
> going to be easy, given that the PGDATA is not on the command line to
> the backend as echoed by ps.  Although I could key on PPID for the
> backends....  I'll have to experiment.

PPID should work fine, actually.  Keep in mind though that SIGINT'ing
the postmaster will already have sent a terminate signal to its children
(barring postmaster breakage), and that if you wait around for awhile
and then kill off remaining children, you may well accomplish nothing
except to kill off the checkpoint process :-(