Re: performance comparission postgresql/ms-sql server

От Kaarel
Тема Re: performance comparission postgresql/ms-sql server
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Heiko Kehlenbrink wrote:

>i want to convince people to use postgresql instead of ms-sql server, so i
>set up a kind of comparission insert data / select data from postgresql /
>ms-sql server

[...]

>do you have any hints like compiler-flags and so on to get the answering
>time from postgresql equal to ms-sql?
>
>(btw both dbms were running on exactly the same hardware)
>
>i use suse 8.1
>      postgresql 7.2 compiled from the rpms for using postgis, but that is
>anothe story...
>      1.5 gig ram
>      1.8 mhz intel cpu
>

>every help welcome

Suse 8.1 comes with 2.4 series kernel I suppose. Many have witnessed a
speed increase when using 2.6 series kernel. Might consider this too
besides the newer PostgreSQL version already suggested. 2.6 has some
scheduling options that are not enabled by default but may enhance
database performance
(http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=75&e=2&u=/nf/20040405/tc_nf/23603).

Kaarel

От: Shridhar Daithankar
Сообщение: Re: performance comparission postgresql/ms-sql server
От: "Andrew Matthews"
Сообщение: Wierd issues