FAQ? how best to implement locking with MS Access client, Postgres server, and ODBC?

От Rachel Willmer
Тема FAQ? how best to implement locking with MS Access client, Postgres server, and ODBC?
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
I have read all available documentation I can find, and am struggling to
understand how best to implement locking in a multi-user database using
Access 2000 as the front-end.

Here's the current scenario.

Postgres has the default "Read committed" mode
Access is set to open in "shared" mode, with "record-level locking".
ODBC has row versioning turned on.

I have two machines which attempt to modify the same record in a form.
The first succeeds, the second fails & rolls back and then the Access
application throws up a "no current record" error.

I can trap that error in the Access application, but what then am I
supposed to do with it? I'm happy to either retry the update, or drop it
silently, but can't work out how to do either successfully.

I guess I have two questions:

(a) has anyone got locking to work in this environment? if so, how?

(b) where can I find some more documentation on this? I've googled for
hours, but haven't found much of use.

Any pointers will be most welcome...
Rachel

Сообщение: Re: ODBC driver further developments?
Сообщение: Re: ODBC driver further developments?