Re: Socket communication for contrib

От Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Тема Re: Socket communication for contrib
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2004, at 12:35 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

>> For me, /contrib is for things closely tied to the backend code, like
>> GIST stuff, and for key tools, like conversion programs.
>>

> something that would be useful (and perhaps may be part of that
> pgfoundry or whatever its called movement) would be making gborg's
> existance more clear.
> Maybe putting a file in doc/ or contrib/ mentioning it or including an
> index of things on it (Or at least the more popular items).
>
> Often when I talk to people at work about PG they ask about stuff and I
> say "Silly, thats on gborg!"  and they look at me strangely and have no
> idea about it.  You get less of it with contrib/ items..
>
> just my $0.02

You have hit an important point here: "What is gborg?". That's what
people think.
Maybe we should have a contrib package (any better ideas?) or at least a
pretty obvious place inside our .tar.gz files mentioning gborg.
If you want more -> gborg.
Otherwise people won't use gborg too much. I have seen that too often.
Maybe thinking about that makes sense about that's more an advocacy
issue I think.
Regards,
    Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria