Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:
> This really ought to work, it obviously shouldn't allow you to set a[5] and
> then surreptitiously move it to a[1]. But nor should it generate an error,
> since I may well have a specific meaning for a[5] and may be planning to fill
> in a[1]..a[4] later.
>
> The logical thing to do, I think, is pre-fill the entries a[1]..a[4] with
> null. This could be implemented by actually storing the NULLs or else storing
> some notation that's used to adjust the base of the index to save space.

I agree. I had always envisioned something exactly like that once we
supported NULL elements. As far as the implementation goes, I think it
would be very similar to tuples -- a null bitmask that would exist if
any elements are NULL.

A related question is how to deal with non-existing array elements.
Until now, you could do:

regression=# select f[0] from (select array[1,2]) as t(f); f
---

(1 row)

Even though index 0 does not exist, you get a NULL value returned
instead of an ERROR. I'd think if we hardwire a lower bound of 1, this
should produce an ERROR. Similarly:

regression=# select f[3] from (select array[1,2]) as t(f); f
---

(1 row)

Should this produce an ERROR instead of returning NULL once existing
array elements can be NULL?

> One thing that can't be made to work like it does now is extending the array
> on the low end indefinitely:
>
> slo=> update test set a[1] = 1;
> UPDATE 1
> slo=> update test set a[0] = 0;
> UPDATE 1
> slo=> update test set a[-1] = -1;
> UPDATE 1

Right. In the new world order we're describing, the latter two examples
would have to produce errors.

Joe