Re: Creating Functions & Triggers

От V i s h a l Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]
Тема Re: Creating Functions & Triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Dear Kevin  ,

>> Yes, you can set the default value for update of a record
>> just with
>>
>> UPDATE email SET  m_date = DEFAULT, m_by_user = DEFAULT  WHERE id =
>> some_id;
>

> If I use this method, I will need to control the input from the client
> side.  I was hoping to have an easy way to update the record with the
> last date modified and user who modified the record regardless of
> where the modification came from.  eg. Web or internal client software.

If the below query is issed by the web client then your job could be
done by the said above query as well .
To my limited knowledge  no need to write a trigger.
Just try using this

CREATE FUNCTION email_mod_date() RETURNS TRIGGER AS

            ^^^^^^^^

> acc=# UPDATE email SET email_address = 'mynewusername@mydomain.com'
> WHERE id = 14;
> -------------
> UPDATE 1

I suppose this is update has been done without the trigger in place.

To my limited knowledge is the trigger going into a sort of race condition

> Thank you for your time Vishal.

Oh!,
Its my pleaseure.

But kindly  pass on the solution if you have found one.

--
Best Regards,
Vishal Kashyap

marital_status