Re: listening addresses

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: listening addresses
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>

>>I did wonder if we should treate "localhost" as a bit special and not
>>rely on the resolver for it.
>>

>I don't think so; we went in the other direction in 7.4 for pgstats.
>(It used to try to bind to "127.0.0.1" and now tries "localhost".)
>So far I've not seen any evidence that makes me think that was a bad
>choice.

A small problem with it was reported to me a couple of days ago - user
had firewalled off all IP6 traffic. The stats collector happily bound
and connected to the socket, but all the packets fell in the bit bucket.
They found it quite hard to diagnose the problem.

Possible solutions that occurred to me:
. an initial "hello"-"yes i'm here" exchange to validate the address
. a configurable stats collector address
. fix the firewall ("Doctor, it hurts when I move like this." - "So,
stop moving like that.")

cheers

andrew