Re: COPY formatting

От Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Тема Re: COPY formatting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Karel Zak wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  in TODO is item: "* Allow dump/load of CSV format". I don't think
>  it's clean idea. Why CSV and why not something other? :-)
>
>  A why not allow to users full control of the format by they own
>  function. It means something like:
>
>  COPY tablename [ ( column [, ...] ) ]
>      TO { 'filename' | STDOUT }
>      [ [ WITH ]
>           [ BINARY ]
>           [ OIDS ]
>           [ DELIMITER [ AS ] 'delimiter' ]
>           [ NULL [ AS ] 'null string' ]
>           [ FORMAT funcname ] ]
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>  The formatting function API can be pretty simple:
>
>  text *my_copy_format(text *attrdata, int direction,
>              int nattrs, int attr, oid attrtype, oid relation)
>
>  -- it's pseudocode of course, it should be use standard fmgr
>  interface.
>
>  It's probably interesting for non-binary COPY version.
>
>  Comments?
>
>     Karel

Karel,

This seems to be an excellent idea.
People have already asked for many different formats.
Usually I recommend them to use "psql -c "COPY ..." dbname | awk ...".
Since Windows will be supported soon, it will be hard to pipe data to a
useful program (awk, sed, ...). Maybe this feature would help a lot in
this case.
Regards,
    Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria