Re: Log rotation

От Fernando Nasser
Тема Re: Log rotation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Fernando Nasser wrote:
>>Anyway, do you have recent FreeBSD or NetBSD sources?
>

> I just jumped on the web sites of the projects and looked at the CVS
> head for usr.sbin/syslogd/syslogd.c.
>
> NetBSD is here:
>
>     http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/syslogd/
>
> FreeBSD is here:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/syslogd/

It seems these are different implementations of syslogd from the one that comes
with Red Hat Linux (for instance) that has the '-' parameter and fsync by
default since 2000 and it was not added by Red hat (it was in the original sources).

W.r.t. syslogd Alan Cox said:

"Its configurable in Linux. The advantage of fsync each time is that data
is not lost from the logs on poweroff, the tradeoff is speed of logging,
although since syslog isnt intended for mass data dumping it isnt normally
a problem

The use of "-" for non fsyncing is also recommended for laptops to improve
disk sleep patterns."