Re: question about selecting across multiple dbs

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: question about selecting across multiple dbs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 11:57, Joe Maldonado wrote:
>> I see that there is an item "Queries across databases or servers
>> (two-phase commit)" on the todo list's urgent header. I have tried
>> asking this question on the other lists and have not yet gotten a
>> suitable answer to this question...When is this functionality
>> expected to be available in PostgreSQL?  I as well as many others
>> want to be able to run queries such as
>
> Cross database selects can be accomplished using contrib/dblink.
>
> It will be some time before cross database writes or locks will be
> possible.

Actually cross database writes can also be done with dblink, but without
2PC, or something similar, it is hard to make it bulletproof.

More to the original point, there is no one (that I'm aware of) actively
working on internal backend cross database functionality such as what
the OP seems to be expecting. There has been discussion on this in the
past (see the mail archives), and there is a SQL2003 spec covering it
(see SQL/MED). Patches would be warmly welcomed ;-). If I don't get beat
to it, I might find the time and interest someday, but there is no
"expected" date of arrival.

Joe