Re: Add GUC to tune glibc's malloc implementation.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Add GUC to tune glibc's malloc implementation.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Ronan Dunklau <ronan.dunklau@aiven.io> writes:
> Following some conversation with Tomas at PGCon, I decided to resurrect this
> topic, which was previously discussed in the context of moving tuplesort to
> use GenerationContext: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/
> 8046109.NyiUUSuA9g%40aivenronan

This seems like a pretty awful idea, mainly because there's no way
to have such a GUC mean anything on non-glibc platforms, which is
going to cause confusion or worse.

Aren't these same settings controllable via environment variables?
I could see adding some docs suggesting that you set thus-and-such
values in the postmaster's startup script.  Admittedly, the confusion
argument is perhaps still raisable; but we have a similar docs section
discussing controlling Linux OOM behavior, and I've not heard much
complaints about that.