Re: Slony-I makes progress

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Slony-I makes progress
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Alex J. Avriette wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 04:57:28PM -0500, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> After some substantial progress on the Slony-I engine development, I'd
>> like to give a little status report and invite everyone who wants to
>> participate in this project to join the mailing list and the development
>> team.
>
> Jan, thank you so much for your hard work on this project.
>
>> Both, the provider change and the failover need a much more complex
>> configuration than the current shell scripts can setup. The problem is
>> that the configuration and administration tools are not designed yet. So
>> here is a huge field for others to step up and take a key role in this
>> project.
>
> So what are you looking for here? When I last built slony, things
> mostly worked, but a few niggling details were broken. I was going to
> submit a few patches, but when I talked to you, it seemed like you
> weren't quite ready for patches. Is the tree stable enough that I could
> do some work on it and expect it to remain relatively consistent over a
> few hours or even a day or two?

What I am looking for is a super-comfortable GUI application that makes
planning and configuring a master-cascaded-multislave replication system
doable by everyone who can identify a clickable button.

Honestly, I personally can live with a sh+sed+m4 tool collection. But I
guess only few would agree to that. So it's basically up to you and
everyone else around here what the outcome of this is.

What is required to fit into the data-center is a batch utility that can
be called in a script and that causes a currently failing cluster to
change the configuration (change the origin of data sets, change
providers, drop nodes ... that kind of stuff). The same utility would
ideally be able to setup new nodes etc. so that it can be used as an
interims solution until the GUI wizzard is ready for prime time.

The current CVS replicates fine and the test_?_pgbench scripts in the
src/ducttape directory do it all at once. I have changed a couple of
things in the autoconf stuff. The whole thing is now expected to be
compiled and installed by the postgres user with --prefix pointing to
the postgres home directory (the same as the --prefix for the PG
installation from sources was). The problem here is, that if we ever
want to create a single C function from a GUI tool on a remote box, its
shared library better be in the PostgreSQL lib directory so it can be
... AS '$libdir/objfile' no matter where that is and what extension
shared objects on that architecture have.

> Also, to get this out of the way (as it presently plagues erserver), do
> you have a particular language in mind? I'd like to avoid the dogmatic
> jihad by not submitting a perl tool if the eventual goal is to be
> end-to-end C (or java or tcl or whatever).

For the production batch commandline utility I think it is C.

Other than that ... I said the field is open.

Jan