Re: Out of space situation and WAL log pre-allocation (was

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Out of space situation and WAL log pre-allocation (was
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> One of the things that bothers me about the present PITR design is that
> it presumes that individual WAL log segments can be kept until the
> external archiver process feels like writing them somewhere.  If there's
> no guarantee that that happens within X amount of time, then you can't
> bound the amount of space needed on the WAL drive, and so you are back
> facing the possibility of an out-of-WAL-space panic.  I suspect that we
> cannot really do anything about that, but it's annoying.  Any bright
> ideas out there?

Maybe specify an archive location (that of course could be on a separate
partition) that the external archiver should check in addition to the
normal WAL location. At some predetermined interval, push WAL log
segments no longer needed to the archive location.

Joe