Re: inserting new records without OIDs

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: inserting new records without OIDs
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
> Shhh, didn't think of that. So we won't ever accept unique indices for
> this.

What we do in phpPgAdmin is that rows with NULL values in the unique key
simply aren't editable - all other rows are though.

In order, we prefer to use a PK (since it is indexed), then oid column
(since it is complete), then unique.  It's even better if they add a
unique constraint to their oid column :)

>> Also, oids are not guaranteed unique.
>

> AFAICS this only happens on wrap around, i.e. hopefully never. Being
> strict, we shouldn't rely on oid uniqueness, but in practice hopefully
> nobody will ever notice.

What phpPgAdmin does for oid edits is it begins a transaction, does the
update, checks to see how many rows were affected.  If more than one row
affected, rollback and complain, otherwise commit.

Chris