Re: connection dropping continued

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: connection dropping continued
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Markus Wollny wrote:

>Hi!

So call it ill-configured.

>the behaviour of the firewall is
>intended and does make sense, as it would open some possibilities for
>DOS-attacks if there would be no timeout.
>
>So even though it's not caused by PGAdmin III, it could be resolved in
>the application level without the need to interfere with firewalls -

Wrong sight; the firewall is the interferer, screwing up tcpip. Simply
let it forward according to RFCs, and everything's fine.

>and
>I think that there must be a lot of people who don't have sufficient
>access to their firewalls or routers in order to resolve the issue
>there.
>
>I'm not saying that this is a vital feature for PGAdmin III to have, I'm
>not saying that the software is crappy because the connection times out.
>All I'm saying is that some sort of keep-alive-mechanism would be a
>handy feature to have in PGAdmin III. And there's really no need to
>establish some complicated mechanism on the network-protocol level to
>get the desired results

Wrong way; it's extra effort to *kill* the connection!

>, a simple "select 1;" issued every 30 odd
>seconds to all opened databases would be absolutely sufficient, I should
>think. If that feature is off by default and can be switched on (and
>maybe the interval adjusted according to needs), no one would be
>bothered by it either.

We can not and thus will not implement app level keep-alives.
You can try to head over to pgsql-bugs or pgsql-hackers, to recommend
implementing that in libpq, and you certainly will get the same answer:
FIX THE FIREWALL!
The server is waiting for tcp/ip disconnect, which is never coming
because the firewall eats this, resulting in backends waiting to death.
Again: you'll have to request your sysadmin to fix the firewall, at
least on that pgsql port for internal use. Timeouts simply don't make
sense here. You won't have DOS attacks internally, I hope (if you do,
locate the aggressor, and eliminate him).

Regards,
Andreas

От: "Markus Wollny"
Сообщение: Re: connection dropping continued
От: "Matt Doggett"
Сообщение: Re: inserting new records without OIDs