Re: Linux / Clariion

От Nick Barr
Тема Re: Linux / Clariion
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Cott Lang wrote:

>Anybody used Linux with EMC Clariions for PG databases?
>
>Any good war stories, pros, cons, performance results ?
>
>I'm wearing thin on my 6 disk 0+1 configuration and looking for
>something beefy, possibly for clustering, and I'm wondering what the net
>wisdom is. :)
>
>thanks!

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

Heya,

We are currently using a Dell badged Clariion FC4500 running at 1Gb
fibre channel. It has 20 HDD in there at the moment, and another 5 disks
are coming in the next couple of weeks. These disks are split into
several RAID 5 arrays, each about 200Gb. We are using QLogic HBA's under
RH Linux. We have had a couple of problems, one driver based which was
resolved by a kernel upgrade. They also dont seem to like changing IP
addresses of the servers, Navisphere wanted the servers to be
reregistered before it started working properly.

In terms of performance, its 1Gb fibre to the disk, U320 SCSI hot swap,
10k disks. They run very fast and apart from the configuration issues
above have never given us any grief. The LUN's have been running
flawlessly for over a year (touch wood). We just need some beefier boxes
to take advantage of their speed. I am thinking of proposing one or more
Quad Opterons with 32Gb RAM ;-) That should do the trick i reckon.

We can try and run some benchmarks on one of the spare machines if you
want, if so send through some examples of pg_bench parameters that are
appropriate. Anyone got any useful sets? We are currently running PG 7.3
(7.3.1 or 7.3.2 I think) at the moment on that box.

Trouble is with this model of Clariion, EMC is apparently setting EOL
for 2005 sometime, which we aint to pleased about. Never mind, hopefully
we will have some more money by that time......

Any other info just say and I will see what I can dig up.

Nick Barr